July 2011 Board Meeting Minutes
FSP Board Meeting
July 24, 2011
Attending: Rich Goldman, Jody Underwood, Carla Gericke, Brandon Ross (8:15)
Meeting started around 8pm
Treasurer; FreedomFest; website hacking fix; PF, past, future; LF update; Libertopia; LibertyFest NYC
No quorum, so informational meeting.
· Two people are currently being considered: Seamas Oscalaidhe and Merav Yaakov. Jody knows both, Mark Warden recommends Seamas. Merav lives in-state, Seamas doesn’t.
· Jody will contact both of them.
· But first: Need a description of responsibilities and skills from Cathleen.
· Someone mentioned having an in-state person so it’s easier to interact with them.
· The treasurer does not have to be a board position, especially since we don't know the potential candidates well. Can try a “test run” of some sort.
· Carla wrote a short report on FB in Doers.
· Thanks to Carla and Mark Warden for doing a great job!
· Through chip-in, about $1200 was raised, and they’re about $700 in the hole. FSP/Cathleen can reimburse them.
· Cobb wrote a draft about a platform idea, which Carla pitched to Thiel.
· Discussion about the proposal. A question was raised about its likelihood of getting funded. As Carla understands it, Thiel wants to fund "common sense technology" and not just general stuff, so we need to pitch a platform that would be the “kick assest volunteer org ever”.
· Carla will first follow up with a “hi nice to meetcha” email, where she will ask if he’d be willing to give money to a general fund a la seasteading. Then follow up with a technical proposal. But first, flesh out Cobb’s idea, Louis will work on it, then Jody, and it will be sent to the rest of the Board.
· Suggestion to move this discussion to the Org list.
· There was a spam/bot problem, where people were seeing a blank FSP page
· It’s fixed according to Louis... and he's keeping an eye on it
· Carla wants to have Jason and Sharon Osborne take over next year
· Has already discussed with them and Curtis and it should be okay.
· Curtis will hopefully have a role to play in marketing
· They should be able to get the balance of “partying” vs. “normal by comparison” and to do “agora” smarter
· Rich wanted to reiterate the concern over liability: the less the FSP is responsible for, the better
· Carla has a file from PF11 along with the final budget that will help with PF12 planning
· Feb 23-26, Chris Lawless heading it up
· Will be in Nashua, but we don’t have a contract with a hotel yet, and we’re still waiting to hear about Bretton Woods
· Carla is interested in doing an investment/incubator event in October at Bretton Woods, which would be the third FSP signature event
· Carla was invited to speak
· Need to do a chip-in, and we’re looking at other software options
· Cost: plane tix, hotel, waiting for a quote on a booth
· Carla prefers having a tag team, and Chris Lawless may be in CA at that time for work anyway… Carla already spoke to him about it.
· Need a person to man a booth
· Mike Finger can’t make it, will probably ask Tennyson
· Also need new pamphlets and banner: cost at least $1k
· Linda Lagana is already working on banners
· Will ask Erik Voorhees and some other graphic designers to design new pamphlets
· Jim Babb also may be able to help
· Carla will put together some specs and then have people compete on FB & G+ to design the coolest one
· Deadline: event is Sept 10
· We’re not speaking, so we’re not on their web site. We’ll hopefully be on the schedule next year.
· Let’s pick a day other than Sunday.
· Mondays are good for Carla and Jody.
· Have meetings every other month.
· Rich will find a date
Adjourned at 9:21pm (minutes submitted by Jody)