August 2 2014 Board Meeting Minutes
August 2, 2014
Venue: Aaron Day’s house
Meeting called to order at 9:30am
Present: Aaron, Carla, Sharon, Varrin, Seamas, Jody
Varrin chaired in Rich’s absence.
1. Board structure / Fundraising
2. Board / strategic
4. 2014 Budget
5. Spending policy
6. Event proposal
Board structure / Fundraising
• We discussed increasing the size of the board and the implications. The bylaws need to be amended.
• We reiterated that all board members have to be participant signers.
• Having board members who are large donors will give credibility to other donors that the board will manage the strategic plan and associated budget well.
• We considered creating two board committees: fundraising and an executive committee.
• The goal is of the utmost importance: getting 20,000 signers. All events should put this at the forefront of every session (there will be exceptions).
• Sharon nominated Aaron to be chair, pending bylaws change. Seamas seconded. 6-0 passes.
• Sharon made the motion to increase the size of the board, in good faith that the bylaws amendments to increase the size of the board will be ratified, and to appoint Jason Sorens and Matt Phillips (pending bylaws change). Carla seconds. 6-0 passes.
Board / strategic:
• Corrected the Bylaws document to reflect changes already made.
• Reviewed proposed changes of the Bylaws.
Took a break at noon to work on the strategic fundraising plan, started again at 5:17pm.
• Varrin moved to change mission statement to “The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of individuals’ rights to life, liberty, and property.” Seconded by Sharon. 6-0 passed.
• Jody moved that, pending Rich’s approval, we accept the amended bylaws, titled “FSP Bylaws 18-Aug-2014”, and that they become effective 18-Aug-2014. Sharon seconded. 6-0, pending Rich’s vote.
- D&O Insurance. Aaron will look into it.
- Seamas moved to accept the 2014 budget. Varrin seconded. 6-0 passes.
- Spending policy. The board makes a resolution to hereby authorize the Treasurer to spend money according to the spending policy without needing the President to countersign. The spending policy is reworded as follows:
Expenditure of FSP money shall be approved according to the following guidelines:
1. All spending over the budget must be approved by the Board
2. Within the budget, expenditures less than $1000 can be authorized by any one of the following: Officer or Department Head
3. Expenditures of $1000 or more must be authorized by the President and the Treasurer
4. The standard mileage rate for travel is the standard IRS rate
Varrin moved to accept this. Sharon seconded. 6-0 passed.
- Event proposal. Discussion about whether we should combine Liberty Forum and PorcFest into a single event that combines camping and talks. The discussion evolved into the weaknesses of PorcFest and how to improve it. There have been many improvements over the years, such as about noise issues. Rogers infrastructure needs a lot of work, and the organizers will make an effort to work that out with them in writing. Liability is also an issue. We could survey the community to see how they feel about the events. Sharon will lead the creation of the survey.
Since there are more issues we need to discuss, we scheduled our next meeting to be Sunday, August 24, 2014 at 3:30pm.
Adjourned at 9:03pm.
Post hoc: Rich approved all items mentioned via email.
Respectfully submitted by Jody Underwood.