April 2009 Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 2:30 PM. Jason S., Irena G., Varrin S., Steve C., Jean A., Louis C. present.

Agenda: 1. Replacement of Jon M. on Board. Jean moves to elect Cathleen C., Jason seconds. Motion passes 5-1. 2. Adding Brandon R. to Organizers list. Jason moves, Jean seconds. Motion passes 6-0. 3. New business. a. Cathleen will make decision about where PorcFest checks go. b. Calling issue dead due to lack of interest from Jason O. c. President has new executive assistant. d. Direct mail development plans being worked out. 4. Jason moves to adjourn. Varrin seconds. Motion passes 6-0. Meeting adjourned.

March 2009 Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 2:01 PM. Steve C., Jon M., Varrin S., Jean A., Jason S. present.

Agenda: 1. Minutes from previous meeting amended and approved. 2. Jason moves to elect Cathleen Converse Treasurer as of a date agreed by Jean & Cathleen. Jean seconds. Motion passes 5-0. 3. Jason moves to place Cathleen on the Organizers list. Jean seconds. Motion passes 5-0. 4. Varrin moves to remove Mark Warden from the Organizers list, per his request. Jason seconds. Motion passes 5-0. 5. Jason moves to adopt strategic goals for 2009. Varrin seconds. Motion passes 5-0. Strategic goals: "1. Re-launch fundraising and include direct mail and calls to large donors; explore new avenues for fund-raising. Goal: $35,000 in general donations.

"2. Re-launch the local booths and speakers program, with outreach to liberty-oriented events around the country using local FSP volunteers. Budgeted: $9,000 for booths & materials, $500 for travel expenses.

"3. Increase the rate of participants' moving to New Hampshire, with an emphasis on First 1,000 signers.

"4. Emphasize the "friend" signup option for people new to the FSP, increase the friend signup rate."

September 2009 Board Meeting Minutes

September 27, 2009 FSP Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 2:25 PM EST. Jason S., Jean A., Varrin S., Cathleen C., Louis C., Steve C., Irena G. present.

  1. Varrin moves to adopt new bylaws. Jason seconds. Discussion of Statement of Intent wording. Bylaws and join page will need to be aligned. Motion passes 7-0, new bylaws adopted.

Jean's resignation from the Board takes effect, and she departs the meeting.

  1. Varrin moves to adopt the following statement: "The FSP Board expresses its thanks for the significant contributions of Jean Alexander during her term on the Board." Jason seconds. Motion passes 6-0.

  2. Discussion of future Board and Organizers e-mail list members. Brandon R. will be formally added to the Board at the next meeting.

Jason moves to adjourn. Varrin seconds. Motion passes 6-0. Meeting adjourned at 3:09 PM.

June 2009 Board Meeting Minute

Meeting called to order at 9:09 AM. Varrin S, Cathleen C, Jason S, Irena G, Jean A, Louis C present. Forms for reincorporation in New Hampshire completed and signed. 1. Motion to change FSP mileage reimbursement rate to the standard IRS rate, whatever it may be. Jason moves, Cathleen seconds. Motion passes 6-0.

  1.  Update on interns program. Interns are making fundraising calls. Interns will receive 100% of the first $1000 net raised (after authorized expenses reimbursed), 10% of additional amounts raised.
  2.  Rich G will moderate the blog feed on the website under Jean’s oversight. The righthand column of the website will be redesigned with three categories: in order from top to bottom, FSP news, media mentions, and blogs.
  3.  Proposal for a quarterly survey of FSP participants will be discussed on the Organizers list.

Varrin moves to adjourn, Irena seconds, motion passes 6-0. Meeting adjourned at 10:37 AM.

August 2009 Board Meeting Minutes

August 16, 2009 FSP Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 2:24 PM EST. Jason S., Jean A., Varrin S., Cathleen C., Louis C., Steve C. present.

  1. Jason S. moves to reappoint Steve C. and Louis C. to the Board (necessary after reincorporation). Jean A. seconds. Motion passes 4-0.

  2. Changing budget to annual basis. 2010 Liberty Forum income and expenditures removed, everything else except "Other Advertising" reduced one quarter. Cathleen C. moves to adopt, Jason S. seconds. Motion passes 6-0.

  3. Discussion of FreedomFest results and interns. One potential donor who will be followed up with by either Varrin or Brandon. Interns have not made many calls. Rate of progress from Harris and Sabrielle has not improved, will be removed from program. $890 in donations so far, $15 in expenses. Neal will be able to do more after move to NH. Need more details on running totals.

  4. Welcome letters. Liz has completed. Need to fit into different budget lines: possibly postage, shipping and mail permits; direct mail; and/or development.

September 2011 Board Meeting Minutes

FSP Board Meeting

September 26, 2011, 8pm


Attending: Rich, Carla, Jody


Board composition/roles/additional members: Thoughts on Seamas and NH state rep George Lambert (I have spoken to him and he is v. interested... think it would be fantastic to get a local involved)? Financials: FSP credit card, fundraising, bitcoins, money bomb Liberty Forum and PorcFest Outreach: LibertyFest; Masscann, Libertopia IT developments: new servers; rolling out new layout Teambox 501 (3) (c) status

Since there was no quorum, this was an informational meeting.

  1. Board composition

We agreed to have Seamas on the Board, and Seamas said he would be “honored” to join.

We thought we’d have to check George out more. There was an objection to having an elected official (George, a NH State Rep from NH, not a mover) on the Board for the purpose of keeping the FSP away from being associated with politics.

One suggestion was to have George on a NH advisory council or something like that, along with some donors.

December 2011 Board Meeting Minutes

FSP Meeting Minutes

December 19, 2011


Attended: Rich, Brandon, Carla, Steve, Seamas, Jody, Varrin

Minutes submitted by Jody


Finalizing the new paperwork Free State Now SOI process, which should work the same way we currently do online registrations (which, according to Lawless is: it must be signed; have a valid name or mailing or email address; and not be "fishy") Commission structure for fundraising

  1. Finalizing the new paperwork

Brandon had prepared three documents for us to review. Some review was over email, and he incorporated those comments.

conflict of interest – boiler plate, standard policy amended articles of agreement. These get filed with the SOS, and were amended to include our potential tax-exempt purposes.

Discussion about including the current Officer positions per the bylaws.

rich is board chair

Carla is prez

Varrin is VP.

Seamas is the treasurer.

Steve was secretary, and got reinstated (unanimously) for the duration of this process, but will resign when it’s over. We’ll need a new secretary then.

July 2011 Board Meeting Minutes

FSP Board Meeting

July 24, 2011

Attending: Rich Goldman, Jody Underwood, Carla Gericke, Brandon Ross (8:15)

Meeting started around 8pm


Treasurer; FreedomFest; website hacking fix; PF, past, future; LF update; Libertopia; LibertyFest NYC

No quorum, so informational meeting.


· Two people are currently being considered: Seamas Oscalaidhe and Merav Yaakov. Jody knows both, Mark Warden recommends Seamas. Merav lives in-state, Seamas doesn’t.

· Jody will contact both of them.

· But first: Need a description of responsibilities and skills from Cathleen.

· Someone mentioned having an in-state person so it’s easier to interact with them.

· The treasurer does not have to be a board position, especially since we don't know the potential candidates well. Can try a “test run” of some sort.

Freedom Fest

· Carla wrote a short report on FB in Doers.

· Thanks to Carla and Mark Warden for doing a great job!

May 2011 Board Meeting Minutes

FSP Meeting 05/15/11 8pm on skype Attending: Rich Goldman, Cathleen Converse, Jody Underwood, Brandon Ross, Varrin Swearingen

Agenda: Establish regular meeting times again and discuss if/what we want to do at PorcFest

Proposed Regular Meeting time: Third Monday of every other month at 8pm. Run it by Carla and Steve before deciding.

What the FSP should do at PorcFest: Meeting at PF (when?) Donor lunch tentatively scheduled Saturday at 1pm. Invitations going out soon.

History of the FSP, maybe tied into a more general Meet the board.
A slot set up for us is Saturday 11-1, so include a picnic BYO-lunch. The final idea is: What's Right/Wrong with the FSP? Want to share your issues and suggestions with the Board of Directors of the FSP? Curious about the organization of the Free State Project? Come meet with us (though, save your best rants for the Soap Box idol)

Meeting adjourned at 8:58pm.


Subscribe to RSS - blogs

Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser .