President's corner - 2006-11-15
November 15, 2006
Message from the President
Recent FSP Activity
- New Hampshire Liberty Forum – Register now for the most exciting pro-freedom event of the season! Eary bird registration is still open, but the prices will be going up very soon, so register today! Speakers include John Stossel (ABC), Sharon Harris (Advocates for Self-Government), Jim Harper (CATO Institute), Jack Cole (LEAP), and Michael Badnarik (former Presidential and Congressional candidate), and many other speakers and forums to be announced. For more information, please see the NHLF webpage here.
- First 1000 Calls - Over a dozen people have volunteered to make phone calls to FSP Participants encouraging them to sign the First 1000 pledge. The calls are underway and we've already had numerous people respond positively. We're going to call as many FSP Participants as possible. There's still time to help if you're interested in helping. Email Sandy to volunteer.
- Media Coverage Time Magazine published an article on the FSP which can be found here. We've also had a fair amount of internet and newspaper coverage revolving mostly around activity in New Hampshire. A notable example is the Union Leader's article about Joel Winters winning his State House seat.
- Pledge Bank Donation Pledge
– 53 people pledged to donate $50 per month to the FSP from July
through December of 2006. Those donations would total $2650 per month
for a total of $15,900 if everyone honored their commitments.
So far (July through September), we've
received at total of $6850 in donations from 28 of the signers.
While that's a good result, there are several people who haven't
followed through on their pledges yet. If you've pledged but haven't
sent any and/or all of your donation in, please do that now before
If you donated but don't think we know about it yet, please let us know with a quick
email to Varrin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Direct Mail - We're sending out a letter to all of our Participants and Friends encouraging them to 1) Sign the First 1000 pledge, and 2) Send in a donation. Why the additional pitch for money? The FSP has embarked on several projects that, frankly, cost money. Those include direct mail prospecting for new participants, paid advertising, PR expenses, and our events – Porc Fest and New Hampshire Liberty Forum. Without additional funds, we may have to make adjustments to our outreach plan. If you've already donated or are on a regular donation plan (you know who you are), thank you! We'd certainly be happy if you want to consider something additional, but please accept our gratitude for the generosity you've already shown. We hope many more will follow your lead in enabling the FSP to continue its outreach plan.
- Goodsearch.com – Here's an easy way to help support the FSP. Go to GoodSearch.com for your internet search needs. Let them know you want to support the FSP and we'll receive money for every search you perform. It's easy to do – just type GoodSearch.com in your browser. In the second box labeled “Who do you GoodSearch for?” enter “Free State Project”. It's powered by Yahoo so you get great results and it's easy!
- Volunteer and leadership training – The FSP recognizes the need for training for people volunteering for projects. Historically, we've relied on self-starting people to be creative, take initiative, and simply get the job done. We've had mixed results because some people are simply not naturally swimmers in the 'sink or swim' environment of volunteering without any training and very little guidance. Consequently, we're planning to have several different programs for existing and potential volunteers throughout the course of 2007. Most of them will be held at the 2007 Porcupine Freedom Festival. Details on the Fest are coming soon (yes, the check really is in the mail), but I wanted to 'tease' you all with the knowledge that we're aware that we need to do this. In addition to Porc Fest volunteer events, we're considering some form of leadership training later in 2007. If you'd like to help organize any of these important events, please email me.
That's it for this issue! Thanks for reading.