The production website has a clone of the central FSP website git repository in /var/local/websitesrc. This repository is updated with the remote central repository during a release, and then a release is generated using git archive.
Major releases, containing new features, are sequentially numbered. The release branch and directory name on the production server are of the form:
with XXX the release number.
Minor releases, containing hotfixes for bugs, etc., are numbered as extensions of the last major release:
with Y the sequential minor release number, starting at 1.
The release is executed using a script, /usr/local/bin/wsrelease, with a parameter indicating the release tag name (e.g. release_6-21). The release destination is /var/www/release_X-YY.
The script does the following:
- Takes both sites (FSP & Porcfest) offline
- Fetches the master branch from the repository to a local repository
- Exports (via git archive) the release tag specified on the command line
- Extracts the export into a directory named after the tag
- Relinks the website folder to the new release
- Brings the sites up again, with drush
See the release script for more information.
- Document the new release at the top of the release notes in /dev/release-notes.txt, incrementing the release number appropriately.
- Push all local changes on the development system (master branch) to the central repository: git push
- Tag the release, with the next release number: git tag release_X-Y
- Push the tag to the central repository: git push origin --tag
- SSH into the web server
- As root, run: wsrelease <release-tag> (e.g. sudo wsrelease release_6-21)
If an error occurred during rollout, roll back to the previous release, and clean out the partial release:
If needed, link /var/www/www.freestateproject.org back to the previous release, e.g:
cd /var/www; rm www.freestateproject.org; ln -s release_6-20 www.freestateproject.org
- Remove the partial release directory: rm -rf /var/www/release_6-21
Note that the release script will throw an error if a directory with the same release tag is found.
Send a notice of the release to the fsp-it group, with a link to the release notes.