2010-05-16 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
FSP Board Meeting
May 16, 2010
Present: Irena G., Presiding
Not Present: Varrin S.
1. Irena calls meeting to order at 2:06 p.m. EST.
2. Boards welcomes Rich Goldman
1. No one to take; Rich G. nominates Brandon R. to keep minutes. Brandon R. agrees.
4. PorcFest 2010
1. Carla has given us an update, including a budget. Looks like will be the biggest PF yet. 288 tickets sold so far.
2. Curtis has set up a PF web site. Some vigorous disagreement over integration and FSP “branding”, but the site looks good.
3. Curtis set up a Facebook campaign. Currently, 723 confirmed guests. Now, to convert those people into attendees...
4. Speakers: Stefan Molyneux, Michael Badnarik, Marc Stevens. Carla asks whether FSP will cover costs of speakers if all tickets not sold (looks likely).
5. Other Events
1. Theme camp: decorate camp sites with a theme for prizes
2. Agora alley: in-state entrepreneurs/flea market
3. Gun Safety: Joe Brown to conduct daily firearm safety classes
4. Silent Auction: (currently on hold, need a new volunteer)
6. Campsites: Rogers will now rent RV camp sites at same price as normal site
7. Still need volunteers: Get the word out! Specifically need someone to cover the silent auction. No (or little) out-reach done yet to call for volunteers.
5. Magazine Update
1. Brandon briefly explains how the magazine project is organized for people not currently aware of it.
2. Brandon not so happy with project; but still trying to “shepherd” it. Problems with who is responsible for what.
3. Wanted to have project completed by PorcFest; very unlikely deadline.
4. Content writer, Brian Wright states has produced too much copy to fit in the publication size we're aiming for; he will have to scale back (or we will have to edit).
5. Content editor has deadline on May 18 to produce mocked-up copy.
6. Original quote asks for 7,000 copies; quoted at $0.65/copy production. Costs will likely increase for glossy cover, slight page increases, etc.
7. Advertisements: Won't know advertisement inventory until after May 18th deadline (to see how much space we have to sell).
6. Calling Program
1. Status? We think Varrin is contact person for Mark Edge.
2. Table item until next meeting.
7. Fundraising/membership goals
1. Rich G. moves: Should the FSP, as a matter of policy, establish both annual fund-raising and membership goals and publish those goals? (Second: Brandon R.)
1. Aye: Rich G, Cathleen, Louis C. Steve C., Brandon R.
2. Nay: (none)
3. Abstain: Irena, Varrin (absent)
Motion passes (5-0-2).
8. Paying Commissions
1. Rich G. wants to know
1. whether there is policy (e.g. bylaws, rules) against the FSP paying commissions to people;
2. what the process is for validating 3rd party sign-ups
1. No written policy; unwritten rules largely; but FSP has rewarded individuals in the past for results. Future discussion on this topic should go to O-list so pro/cons can be discussed.
9. New Business
10. Next Meeting
1. Next meeting will be on Sunday, June 20, 2010 @ 2 p.m. by online chat.
2. However, if quorum will be at present at PF 2010, brd. mtg. may be held at PorcFest.
1. Irena G. moves to adjourn. (Second: Brandon R.)
1. Vote: 6-0-1.
2. Motion passes.
2. Board stands adjourned; to reconvene Sunday, June 20, 2010.